Install GeneWeb on a shared hosting account¶A shared hosting account have some restrictions :
- Daemon mode is forbidden, or cannot be activated. So you must use CGI mode.
- You must fit in the server environment : OS version, libraries, installed packages.
- The OS version is generally a stable version, but not the latest version.
- made for recent Linux distribution
- Geneweb distribution made with Linux Debian Sarge, and currently running on 1&1 hosting.
Directories and files¶
The following applies to 1&1 hosting, and may differ on other hostings:
Under the root directory where CGI scripts may run, we have :
The directories :
? Beside the CGI-root directory mybases The bases directory ? In the CGI-root directory basesxg An alternative bases directory css A copy of the gw/css directory. This directory is used by the Apache server. gw The gw directory of the Geneweb distribution
No change, except give the "exec" permission on the files gw/gwd, gw/gwsetup, and files used by gwsetup (gw/gwc*, gw/gwu,gw/consang, gw/update_nldb)
The gwd.arg file is empty.
gwenv The gw directory of the Geneweb-5 distribution
On this web site, we can easily switch between the 2 last versions of GeneWeb.
igw The images directory for Geneweb-5 images A directory where copies of gw/images/gwback.jpg, gw/images/gwlogo_bas.png pub A directory where are readable copies of the CGI scripts (this website is a demo site) :
check if Geneweb-6 can be launched
And the files :
issue6.cgi A test script which
- displays information about the environment in the server
- checks the gwd binary file : size and md5sum
issue5.cgi The same script, but for the GeneWeb-5 version gw6.cgi The CGI script which launches GenWeb-6 gw5.cgi The CGI script which launches GenWeb-5
Parameters of the CGI script¶
1 PWD=$(pwd) 2 LNG="fr" 3 GENEWEBSHARE=$PWD/gw 4 GENEWEBDOC=$PWD/gw/doc 5 GENEWEBDB=$PWD/../bases 6 DAEMON=$GENEWEBSHARE/gwd 7 LOGFILE=$GENEWEBDB/gw.log
Main settings :
- 1 get the CGI working directory
- 2-7 set the main parameters
- 5 $GENEWEBDB does not need to be accessed by the HTTP server.
It must be protected either by a .htaccess file, either by a location out of the HTTP server scope.
- 7 a log file is useful when there are problems, but do not forget to delete it after downloading.
1 OPTIONS="-blang -robot_xcl 40,70 -max_clients 15 -conn_tmout 120 -min_disp_req 30 -images_url http://myserver.net/gw/images" 2 # -allowed_tags $GENEWEBDB/tags.txt 3 cd $GENEWEBSHARE 4 $DAEMON -hd$GENEWEBSHARE -dd$GENEWEBDOC -bd$GENEWEBDB -lang$LNG -log$LOGFILE -cgi $OPTIONS 2>/dev/null
Options and launching
- 1 OPTIONS
-robot_xcl to protect your data from HTTrack or WebSite Extractor -conn_tmout for statistics on the bottom line -images_url icons and images are not sent by GeneWeb, but par your HTTP server (not CGI). -allowed_tags another useful option, if you use HTML tags not in default_good_tag_list
- 3 cd $GENEWEBSHARE. I am not sure it is really needed.
- 4 launch GeneWeb